Preston Historical Society Museum Now Open
Preston Historical Society Museum (PHS) resumed Saturday hours on July 18 and will continue to be open for Saturday visits from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through the end of August, barring any future restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic. Masks must be worn and social distancing observed while on the PHS campus. PHS is located at 167 Main Street in Preston; the parking lot is accessed from Harmony Road. As always, admission is free.
A membership meeting will be held on Monday, August 17 at 7 p.m. Guest speaker will be author Don Parks, who will be giving a presentation about Choptank River steamships and will have on hand for purchase and signing his latest book, Islander’s War. The public is invited to attend.
For more information, call 410-943-1891 or visit www.prestonhistoricalsociety.com. Follow PHS’s social media pages on Facebook and Instagram @Preston Historical Society.
Reopening of the Rural Life Museum
The Rural Life Museum is now open every Saturday through November 28 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. to visitors. Operated by the Caroline County Historical Society, the museum is located at 16 North Second Street in Denton. Docents adhere to all COVID-19 regulations and visitors must wear a mask while in the museum. Masks are not provided. For more information, contact 410-479-2055 or visit www.carolinehistory.org.
Exeter House Open House Tours
Exeter is one of the oldest remaining structures in the southern part of Caroline County, dating back to around 1800. Many of its early residents were millers who worked in the grist mill across the road on the Marshy Hope Creek. The Federalsburg Historical Society is holding Saturday open houses on August 15, September 19 and October 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Docents will be available.
Robert and Mary B. Holt, of Federalsburg, purchased the house on 408 Old Denton Road in 1967 and over time restored the structure back to its original appearance. Upon extensive research and application, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. A major renovation project began in late 2002. The building never has had indoor plumbing and only during this time was electricity introduced to the first floor.
In December of 2011, the property was deeded to the Federalsburg Historical Society by the Holt Family Trust. It was always Mary Holt’s dream to open Exeter to the public as a museum. Renovation is ongoing on Exeter House. Tours are free. For further information or for other tour opportunities, call Wendy Garner at 410-754-3074.
Research Center Re-opens
The Upper Shore Genealogical Society of Maryland Research Center is now open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., except for holiday weekends, through November. The center will be closed during the month of December. The center is located at 12156 Greensboro Road/Route 313. Look for the sign with the flag.
When doing research at the center, practice safe standards of care, including wearing face masks and social distancing. The Research Center offers many resources for family history and genealogy research. Volunteers are onsite to give advice and help in genealogy research. The Research Center houses many books and other related materials for purchase. Inventory includes family histories in the counties of Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Talbot and Somerset as well as Bible records, research books, and much more. Also, students will find materials to do history projects for school. For more information, visit usgsmd.org.